Thursday, January 18, 2018

Ammon Bundy Led Two Armed Standoffs Against The Government, And He’s Prepared To Do It Again

Salvador Hernandez

Ammon Bundy, the former Nevada rancher who twice led an armed standoff against federal agents and twice avoided a prison sentence, told BuzzFeed News he was prepared to launch another armed confrontation with the government if he felt it was necessary. Bundy, the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, led the 40-day occupation of an Oregon wildlife refuge in 2016 and helped organize the 2014 armed Nevada standoff against federal agents. Earlier this month, a federal judge threw out the case against the family, citing misconduct by the FBI and prosecutors who failed to share evidence with defense attorneys. Despite spending two years behind bars awaiting the outcome of criminal trials for the armed standoffs, the Bundy family remained undeterred in their feud with the federal government, one that has gained thousands of supporters in the West. "I'm not going to run from something like that, but then again, I never was looking for it," Bundy, 42, said Wednesday in a phone interview. "But if it is necessary again to limit and bring awareness to what our form of government is doing — and our governments in general are doing it — I think I would have to consider it again." Bundy said he didn't know what might prompt such action, but "I hope I don't find out." "I see myself defending my rights, defending my neighbor's rights and standing up for injustices, but I don't see myself going out and picking a fight," he said. "I hope I don't have to." Though drastic, Bundy defended the decision to launch armed confrontations with the government in both Nevada and Oregon, arguing that doing so brought national attention to the fight over public lands and highlighted the actions of federal officials. "Our families suffered, but we had to do something," Bundy said. "I thought we did the right thing." Bundy said it was not the only action he would consider in the future, and suggested a change of strategy, one that veers away from armed confrontations and toward public office...more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Notice ranchers "The Cowboy and the Lady" commented to this article, a couple others also saw through the article's bias, the rest spew the old worn out 'white priveledge-terrorists'.